Sugaring is a form of hair removal using sugar, lemon juice, and water. It has been around for a while and is just now starting to get noticed by different beauty gurus on social media. I’ve been doing this for a while now and I absolutely love it, not only does it get rid of unwanted hair but it exfoliates your skin as well. Not to mention it is made of all natural ingredients you can get from your kitchen.
I’m going to give you a little background on the subject, sugaring is a very old middle-eastern practice of hair removal. There are many forms ranging from store bought to homemade, but the purest sugar waxing always uses natural ingredients. Results can last up to 6 weeks, and when the hair does grown back it comes in thinner, and lighter every time you wax. There are two types of sugar waxing:
- Gel- you apply in the direction of hair growth then remove it with a cloth in the opposite direction of hair growth.
- Paste- you apply against the direction of hair growth and then flick of using your hands in the direction of hair growth.
I use the paste, which is what I will be explaining below.
What you will need:
- A heat resistant jar or container
- spoon to mix with
- knife or spatula
- pot to boil in
- measuring cup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups sugar
- Mix your water, lemon juice, and sugar in your pot and mix it together. Now place the pot on the stove on a HIGH boil and wait for it to become a deep amber color (it will bubble a little) , this should take 15 minutes at the very most. When your mixture is the color it should be turn the stove off and poor the mixture into your heat resistant jar. Now you have to wait for it to cool, this can take a while so to speed it up you can place it in cold water or the fridge.
- When your wax is barely warm it should be very pliable not stiff and that is when it is ready. Take your knife, scoop some out and spread it against the growth of hair on whatever you are waxing. You can let it sit for a second before pulling it off in the direction of hair growth.
- Finish up whatever you are waxing and congratulations you are hairless and exfoliated but don’t forget to use lotion afterward to keep your skin soft and healthy.